Tuesday, December 1, 2015

THINGS I AM GRATEFUL FOR

I wrote this poem on October 14, 2010 and posted it in my other blog in July 2012.

Now after 5 years, I decided to edit it and make a video out of it. Final editing was done on my 44th birthday, December 1, 2015. I used Viva Video app. Thanks to my friends for their photos: Dr. Martin John Jarmin,  Dr. Milbert Aguas,  Dr. Leo Arcalas,  Elson Aca,  Israel Ercia and Jun Montano. Other photos were taken from public sites on the internet.






THINGS I AM GRATEFUL FOR


I am grateful for many things, big and small. 



I am grateful for breakfast on the table. 


I am grateful for green lights and parking spaces, especially when I am running late. 


The reliable umbrella, my savior from sun and rain. 


A full tank, it makes me feel I am going somewhere, and back again. 


A safe touchdown, after an uneventful flight. 


I am grateful when I sleep well at night. 


Discounts and rebates, just when I am short of resources. 


Maps and instruction manuals, they are antidotes to my ignorance. 


I am grateful for pills that ease pain. 


I am grateful for sunshine, moon beam, and a little bit of rain. 


I am grateful for the sight of my door at the end of my journey, telling me that at last I am home. 


I am grateful for old friends, they remind me how good and simple life used to be.


Older friends, they inspire me to be a better person. 


Younger friends, they remind me how wise I have grown.


I am grateful for birthdays.


I am grateful for my family: we may have our ups and downs, but in a world where many have none, I am grateful that I was raised by a loving family that taught me kindness and humility. 


I am grateful for the immensity of memories. 


Memories, made up of tiny segments of moments that are intricately woven into my bloodstream. 


I am grateful for the specter of memories that little by little I may somehow soon forget like sand sifting in my hands, memories that I hope to hold on to and to cherish for the rest of my life, or for as long as I can. 


Memories of innocence and humble beginnings. 


Memories of tall trees, fireflies, rivers, oceans, bridges, farms and carabaos. 


Memories of dreams, of games and battles fought, of victory and defeat. 


Memories of reckless youth, of songs, dances, and fleeting romances. 


Memories of meeting people for the first time, uncertain of what the future holds. 


Memories of seeing people for the last time, and the elusive hope of someday meeting again. 


Memories of loved ones, of those who have come and gone, memories that make me laugh when I think of the times we cried together, memories that make me cry when I think of the times we laughed together. 


On the other hand, I am grateful for the comfort of forgetting. 


The art of letting go, the bliss in moving on, knowing that everything will eventually be alright, after all. 


I am grateful for options and explanations, they put sense and bring order to a world drowning in confusion. 


I am grateful for my teachers, mentors and critics. 


I am grateful for a job well done, for words well said, and words left unsaid just to spare the feelings of a friend. 


Music and smiles. 


A helping hand and a pat on the back, just when I am about to break down. 


A hug.


Forgiveness. 


A second chance. 


A spark of hope. 


Sanity, serenity, enlightenment. 


I am grateful for whatever respect I earned, and for all the lessons learned. 


I am grateful for being part of the race: I may not finish first, but I am sure to get there, at my own gentle pace. 


Come to think of it, I am grateful not for having things I want, but for having things I need. 


I hope to be grateful, until the day I die. 


And in being grateful, I thank God for making me understand why.




- John Emmanuel T. Manalo MD
  October 14, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment